Multiplayer is a crucial component of SimCity.
Players can team up with one another in regional play.
- Mayors in the same region can cooperate with one another to tackle Challenges and construct Great Works.
- Main article: Region
Region is where multi-city play occurs.
Up to 16 cities can exist in a region. These cities can be controlled by an individual player or multiple players.
Cities in a region interact with one another.
- One city can negatively affect another by spreading its pollution or criminals.
- It can also positively affect another by sharing its resources and services.
Players can cooperate with one another to unlock advance technologies, tackle Challenges and construct Great Works.
Regions can be private or public.
- In private region, only the player and his or her friends can join, while in public region, anyone can join.
Simcity will launch with 10 distinct regions.
- Main article: Global Market
The prices of goods on the Global Market are determined by supply and demand of the Simcity community.
- Price floors and ceilings, determined by Maxis, are placed on all the commodities.
Trade Depot is required to trade on the Global Market.
- Main article: Leaderboards
From the Leaderboards, the player can see his or her rankings in the 10 stats and 5 big businesses.
Players can compare their stats with the other players in region, their friends or the entire Simcity community.
- Main article: Challenges
Challenges are special goals and objectives issued to the players automatically.
- They can be completed for rewards and Achievements.
All players in a region are entered into regional challenges.
Players can also participate in global challenges that test them against the entire SimCity community.